On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: seven swans-a-swimming, six geese-a-laying, five golden rings, four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree!
Graceful swans symbolize the seven gifts of grace of the Holy Spirit, as listed in the twelfth book of Romans.
I did make the little swan container for my Mom for Christmas. This is the one suggested decoration that I actually followed through with, as the others were either complex or required that I buy stuff from a craft store. The suggested activity for today is to go swimming. Really? It’s a Christmas book published in the northern hemisphere and they suggest swimming? I don’t know that I’ll make it. Especially, as today’s New Year’s Eve, and the holiday tomorrow.
On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: six geese-a-laying, five golden rings, four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree!
Since eggs symbolize new life, the geese stand for the six days of creation described in Genesis.
They suggest that we decorate eggs with nontoxic markers or crayons. I don’t think I’ll celebrate in quite this way, as I associate all egg decoration with Easter, but I did have eggs for breakfast this morning. Does that count?
On the sixth day of Christmas, my friend Jenn gave to me: six chapters read of the OT, FIVE MINUTES OF SILENCE! (Shhh…), all four rosaries, three acts of penance, two photographs, and one hour of Adoration.
On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: five golden rings, four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree!
These are said to represent the first five books of the Old Testament, often referred to as the Pentateuch.
Today’s suggested activity is for your family to sit down and write the following on decorative strips of paper:
- Their favorite thing that happened this Christmas season.
- Their favorite memory of last Christmas.
- Their favorite Christmas ever.
- Their funniest Christmas memory.
- One thing they hope to accomplish before next Christmas.
Then, staple the paper strips into a chain and use it as decoration in your home.
For me, as I do not live with anyone why don’t we play this online? Respond to one or more of the above either in comments, or on my G+ or FB accounts.
1. I loved going to Mass with my brother, goddaughter, and friends.
2. It was cute watching the kids from OLGC performing a Christmas play. There was a real baby playing the baby Jesus and the kids playing Joseph and Mary were so cute and loving.
3. I don’t remember which Christmas it was, but some of my favorites were when I was a kid and my cousin, Anna, and I got to pass out the presents to everyone and afterward everyone would have a big “snowball fight” using gift wrap.
4. I liked watching my cousins’ kids, Petros and Kenzie, attacking everyone in the living room with a Stomp Rocket.
5. I would like to come up with a good plan for next Advent.
On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree!
The calling birds represent the four Evangelists: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, and their Gospel accounts.
The suggested activity for today is to call at least four friends that you have been meaning to contact but haven’t gotten around to doing. As for me, I think that I will send a note in the mail and be truly old-fashioned. 🙂 So, four of you, watch your mailbox!
On the third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: three french hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree!
Three usually symbolize the Trinity but also may stand for the theological virtues of faith, hope, and charity.
The suggestion for celebrating today is to try out a new chicken recipe, possibly Cornish hens. Good thing for me that today is not a Friday where we have to refrain from eating meat (since we are in the octave of Christmas)! I don’t think that I will be making a hen, as it’s just me. But what chicken dishes do you recommend?
Oh! I think I’ve found it! Garlic Cheddar Chicken!
It looks yummy! I hope mine turns out… 🙂 Yay, third day of Christmas!